HELP US PUT AN END TO THESE DISHONEST PRACTICES
LEARN HOW YOU CAN HELP
Carpentry is more than a job. It is a time-honored, respected craft. Carpenters are the craftspeople who build the schools, office buildings and apartments that keep our economy moving and provide all families with opportunities to live, work and learn.
Every carpenter deserves to be treated with respect, including the basic right to safe working conditions and assurance they are protected in case of an accident on the job. Skirting labor laws is bad for workers, families and communities. Foremost, it is bad for business.
HOW CAN YOUR BUSINESS HELP RESPECT THE CRAFT?
Hire contractors who share your values: Pledge to only work with those who value and respect their employees
Ensure contractors you hire follow the law: This means making sure the carpenters working in your facilities are:
- Being paid a living wage with overtime pay on all hours over 40 per week
- Provided with workers compensation as required by law
- Paid as employees with taxes withheld and provided benefits like health care
- Able to participate in a state or federally registered apprenticeship and training program to ensure a safe workplace
- Treated equally on the basis of race and national origin as required by law, including offering on-the-books employment to immigrant workers
- Not subject to predatory business models utilizing “labor brokers” as middle men who facilitate workers to be paid “off the books” and exploited
Talk with lawmakers: Encourage lawmakers to enforce the laws and take a stand against those who cheat the system and put carpenters and their families at risk.
Educate yourself: Research contractors to find out if they have a history of bad business practices that hurt workers. Understand the underlying issues and symptoms of labor exploitation. Sign up to our mailing list for updates.
ORGANIZATIONS THAT RESPECT THE CRAFT:
- AE Conrad Co.
- Lakes & Plains Construction, Inc.
- NorMinn Industrial
- Olympic Companies, Inc.
- Pinnacle Wall Systems
- Prestige Drywall, Inc.
- Reshetar Systems, Inc.
- RTL Construction, Inc.
- S.A. Jordan Construction, Inc.
- The Marathon Group, Inc.