HELP US PUT AN END TO THESE DISHONEST PRACTICES
SIGN THE PLEDGE TO STOP DEFRAUDING CARPENTERS AND FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP
Carpentry is more than a job. It is a time-honored, respected craft. Carpenters are the craftspeople who build the schools, office buildings and apartments that keep our economy moving and provide all families with opportunities to live, work and learn.
Every carpenter deserves to be treated with respect, including the basic right to safe working conditions and assurance they are protected in case of an accident on the job. Skirting labor laws are bad for workers, families and communities. Foremost, it is bad for business.
That’s why we pledge our support to Respect the Craft.
As a company, we pledge to support carpenters and their families by ensuring our contractors are following the law. We pledge to ensure any carpenter working in our facilities has the needed protections, such as:
- Being paid a living wage with overtime pay on all hours over 40 per week
- Providing workers compensation for all workers on every project as required by law
- Paying all workers as employees with taxes withheld, and providing benefits like health care
- Ensuring all carpenters participate in a state or federally registered apprenticeship and training program to ensure a safe workplace
- Providing workers equal treatment on the basis of race and national origin as required by law, including offering on the books employment to immigrant workers
- Ensuring jobsites are free of the predatory business model utilizing “labor brokers” as middle men which facilitates workers to be paid “off the books” and exploited.
We pledge to only work with developers and contractors who share our values in protecting carpenters and respecting the craft.
And, we will encourage lawmakers to enforce the laws and take a stand against those who cheat the system and put carpenters and their families at risk.